The Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria is the pioneer broadcast organization in Nigeria with a rich culture of excellence. The Corporation has evolved through different stages to become what it is today-the largest Radio Network in Africa.
Available records reveal that Radio Broadcasting was introduced into Nigeria in 1933 by the then Colonial Government. It relayed the overseas service of the British Broadcasting Corporation through wired system with loudspeakers at the listening end.
The service was called Radio Diffusion System, RDS.
From the RDS emerged the Nigeria Broadcasting Service, NBS in April 1950. Prior to the NBS, the Colonial Government had commissioned the Nigeria Broadcasting Survey undertaken by Messrs Byron and Turner which recommended the establishment of stations in Lagos, Kaduna, Enugu, lbadan and Kano. Mr. T.W. Chalmers, a Briton and Controller of the BBC Light Entertainment Programme was the fist Director-General of the NBS.
The Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation, NBC came into being in April 1957 through an Act of Parliament No. 39 of 1956. The Director General was Mr. J.A.C Knott OBE.
In 1978, the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation was re-organized to become the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, FRCN. The NBC was instructed to handover its stations that broadcast on Medium Wave frequencies in the States to the State Governments and it took over Short Wave Transmitters from the States. The Broadcasting Corporation of Northern Nigeria, BCNN, was merged with the NBC stations in Lagos, Ibadan and Enugu to become the present day FRCN. The Reverend Victor Badejo was the first indigenous Director-General of Radio Nigeria.
The present Management of the FRCNhas transformed the Corporation to truly “Uplift the People and Unite the Nation”, a responsive radio catering for the diverse needs of Nigerians.
Please select a station from the menu below.
Enter our discussion forum and air your views. They count!